EJD MACHACEK LLP ANTI-SPAM COMMITMENT
EJD Machacek LLP (the “firm”) is committed to providing transparency to outside parties in Canada and wants to comply with CASL by having a defined protocol and a compliance policy, making up our commitment to clients, prospective clients and others who may benefit from our information.
CEM: Commercial Electronic Message, sent and accessed in Canada
CASL: Canadian Anti-Spam Legislation effective July 1, 2014
CRM: The firm’s customer relationship management software
We believe the following are exempt messages (specific to us) to which this policy doesn’t apply:
- Provide information about a purchase, subscription, membership, account, or other ongoing relationship.
- Provide information about product updates or service updates to ongoing relationship.
- A single message without an existing relationship, on the basis of a referral; only when we disclose the full name of the referring person.
Otherwise, consent is required in one of two forms.
1. EXPRESS CONSENT
Written or oral agreement to receive messages; action from both the sender and recipient will indicate express consent. The firm will include:
- A clear and concise description of our purpose in consent
- A description of the message we will send
- The firm name, contact info, address, phone number, email, and website
- A statement that says they may unsubscribe at any time.
How the firm applies this consent:
- Opt-in submission from our website, including forms, landing pages, product requests and information requests
2. IMPLIED CONSENT
If the recipient meets any of these criteria, we may infer your implied consent:
- We have a personal relationship with the recipient.
- They’ve purchased from the firm in the last 24 months.
- EXAMPLE: individual had us prepare their tax returns within that past 24 months.
- We are sending a professional message to an address given to us.
- EXAMPLE: you provide us with your business card.
- We are sending a professional message to an address conspicuously published and who hasn’t said they don’t want unsolicited messages.
- EXAMPLE: we found the address online or in a corporate publication or brochure, and our message relates to your business role.
HOW WE ENSURE OUR MESSAGE QUALIFIES
- We keep a record of consent confirmations using our CRM
- We don’t allow checkboxes to be pre-filled in any forms
- All messages include our firm name, sender’s name, and website url which identifies our other contact info
- All messages have an unsubscribe mechanism. Our CRM automatically tags these unsubscribes as such, and future emails do not include that list.
- Opt-in forms are used when requesting consent, with the box not automatically checked; opt-ins are recorded in our CRM
- We have an email footer to identify the firm as the sender of the CEM, and provide methods where the recipient can contact us in return
MESSAGE BEST PRACTICES
Our firm follows these best practices in email content:
- We include our firm name and sender name
- We include our physical address in the content
- We include our website url in the content, which has our other contact info
- We include an unsubscribe link, which automatically updates our CRM
A PROFESSIONAL MESSAGE
We are a professional services and CPA firm, and as a result we always want to uphold our reputation. A professional message from our firm has some/all of the following characteristics:
- The message was sent to you by the firm to sell its services and you operate a business which may be interested in the firm’s specific service.
- The message was sent to you by the firm to retain your services and is directly linked to your business.
HOW DOES SOCIAL MEDIA APPLY?
You may be contacted via social media if you are connected to a social network or have conspicuously identified your social media addresses (like on a website).
We are committed to keeping social media messages professional and helpful.
WEB PROGRAMS AND ACCESS
Our firm may use web tools and forms, and deems you to have provided express consent for those tools where your consent is based on your web conduct, in such cases as:
- A cookie
- Any other specified in the regulations
MARKETING RESEARCH AND SURVEYS
The firm from time to time conducts market research about topics and issues specific to our areas of expertise.
IF YOU DON’T WANT TO RECEIVE THINGS FROM US
We understand that not everyone will want to see the information or advice that the firm is offering. You may unsubscribe at any time from receiving CEM’s by clicking the unsubscribe link contained in the footer of the CEM.
If you have received a CEM from the firm that you do not believe you should have received, please contact us immediately at email@example.com and we will promptly remove your email address from our CEM distribution lists. If you have unsubscribed, you will no longer receive CEMs from the firm however you may still receive electronic messages which relate to an ongoing relationship or which may be exempt.